The Virgin Triptych, one of the first works of the Quattrocento to enter the collection of the Städel Museum in Frankfurt, has just been restored thanks to the support of the BNP Paribas Foundation and BNP Paribas Germany.
Completed in 1495 by Macrino d’Alba (1470-1528), an Italian artist born in Alba in the Piedmont, this altarpiece is made up of three panels painted on wood, representing the Madonna with Child, St Joachim and the Angel, and Joachim and Anne Meeting at the Golden Gate. Ordered by the congregation of the Immaculate Conception to adorn the chapel in the Franciscan church of Alba, the triptych depicts the story of the miraculous birth of the Virgin to the aged couple Anne and Joachim, who had despaired of ever bearing children. Exhibited in a richly ornate and fully restored frame, the triptych once more illuminates the galleries of Italian painting at the Städel Museum.
The restoration of this masterpiece was conducted as part of the BNP Paribas for the Arts programme, which has enabled the restoration and conservation of more than two hundred works of art now housed in various museums. It bears testimony to the bank’s commitment to preserve the cultural heritage of museums both in France and abroad.
Photo: Städel Museum, Frankfurt Am Main / Artothek